Saturday, July 10, 2010

What I've Learned about Action Research

I must admit that before this course I have never heard of action research. I have now learned that the term action research and the term administrative inquiry are often used interchangeably. They refer to a process that can be used as a tool fro professional development. Teachers have used similar processes in their profession, and now action research has become an important tool for administrators as well. Principals use this tool as a way to improve their schools. Action research is used to further educational reform efforts. I've learned that action research, or administrative inquiry, can be used by principals to gain deeper insights into their practice as administrators and their leadership role in school improvement efforts. Most principals are pressed with time restraints. At first glance, it would appear that this is one more thing that the principal must contend with during his/her busy day. However, upon reading about the process and its benefits, it is clear that this process actually helps the principal to focus and respond to the needs of his school.

Upon reading and exploring the action research process, one will find that it is a systematic process of studying one's own practice, examining data, asking questions (wondering), and taking action for a positive change. Action research differs with traditional research in that it is the principal himself asking the questions and reaching the conclusions. Other educational research usually has outside researchers, such as from a university, and the principal is merely a "technician" to carry out the research findings. In administrative inquiry, the principal is the researcher. This is important because the principal is better positioned to understand issues of his/her own school. The source of the issues, and therefore the source of the questions, comes from the principal and his insight into his own practice. Focus goes to efforts to make changes and improve the school in a continuous and ongoing manner. The process becomes interactive and introspective.

As an administrator, I can use action research to improve upon my learning and to improve my campus. Using this method will set an example to my staff and help promote their own action research to develop their professional growth. By using reflections, I can access my inner thoughts and discover insights that may otherwise be overlooked. It will allow me to think more deeply about a problem, thus putting more power into the effort of finding a solution.

Educational leaders are also beginning to use another relative new tool. This would be the BLOG. By reading and posting on a blog, the administrators engage in interaction with each other that may have otherwise not been possible. Principals can share concerns and solutions as well as develop collaboration and support for each other. Insight, issues and ideas can be shared. Blogging can be a tool that allows the principal to seek support from his/her peers without concern for distance.

3 comments:

  1. Donna, I too can see the value in having a blog where administrators can learn from each other. I think it will be great to have each other in this class to bounce off ideas and receive information as we go through the "inquiry" process. Like you, I didn't really know much about active research, but I now know that I have been involved with it. No doubt this whole process will be a huge learning experience for all of us.
    Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    For someone so worried about the blogging process, I think you have gotten off to a splendid start. I could not agree more with your comments that with the principal leading the way with action research, it sets the tone for the rest of your staff to conduct similar research studies. Again, you have started well with your blogging experience and I am sure that as time passes you will find yourself more comfortable with the process.

    Great Start
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna,

    I have to agree that for someone that was unsure about blogs and blogging... you are doing great! I agree that action research will be a great way to set an example for others to follow when you are an administrator. I also like your point about self reflection and thoughts that may have otherwise been overlooked or ignored because you did not take the time to explore those thoughts and how they can benefit you and others. You are off to a great start, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete